Christmas 2015
Dear Family and Friends,
I’d have to say this is one of the best places I have been
to write a Christmas letter. The kids
are being taken care of by our crazy heroes:
Granny and Pappy. We are on a
boat cruising the Caribbean, relaxing and enjoying each other. Our worries were left at a port in south
Texas. Here is a snapshot of our year:
Aaron has made it past small-child stage at 7. He is in first grade and enjoying most of
it. It is nice that the school is within
walking distance and he is able to travel with some neighbor kids on the way
there and back. He continues to love the
water and does excellent at his swimming lessons. He sings like the angels in church
choir. His teacher at school was telling
us how much he loves to sing. We asked
him what he wants to be when he grows up.
Without prompting, he said he wants to be a Computer Science
teacher. Ha…please pray for him!
James is an all smiles almost three year old. We know fun has entered the room when he is
there. He loves life and brings joy to
all around. The potty is no longer a play
thing when mom and dad are not looking.
He is now one of the initiated in the finer arts of bowel and bladder
vacating. We could not be more
proud. He is a wonderful swimmer and
water holds no fear for him. This only
serves to double our fears.
Asher is one and the minutes older member of our dynamic
duo. They have quickly found out that if
one does something, the other can get into trouble while mom or dad is taking
care of the first one. He loves to
climb, he is just beginning to talk, loves books and exploring. One of his first words was banana. We figure he is part minion. We just hope that in his spare time he is not
out helping some super villain take over the world.
Sarah is also one and our little girl. She is the great Houdini of our family. No clothes are too difficult to get out
of. We have walked into her room to
check on her and she will have a big smile on her face with her diaper in hand
and clothes throughout the crib. We hope
this is her wild streak and we won’t have to worry about it when she is older. She does have many of the same interests as
her brother. But, I think more than any
of her siblings she loves people. One of
her favorite people in the world is her cousin Micah. Whenever they come over, it is hard to
separate the two.
Aaron and I traveled with my Mom and Dad up to northern
Illinois for a family reunion. I had not
seen many of my aunts, uncles and cousins in over ten years. It was amazing going to that place and
remembering so much of my childhood. I
was thinking about it and that is the place where I learned to ice skate, water
ski, snow ski, play pool and a lot more.
It was great to remember how wonderful my family is up there.
Aaron was not interested in my nostalgia but he did have a
great time. I would ask him every night
what his favorite part was. One night,
he said my Grandma’s scalloped potatoes.
I told him I don’t know how she does it but they are one of the most wonderful
things in this world. Although that is
what he said one night, every night he said he enjoyed seeing one family member
more than the rest. His name is Luke and
he is a black lab. He still talks about
him and asks to go and visit.
At the beginning of the school year, I was introducing
myself and my family to my students. I
mentioned I was married and one of the kids said, “So you think you’ve found a
cheerleader?” Then, he quickly followed
up, “Is she there when you need her?”
All of the students laughed. I
was thinking two things at once. One,
wow you really know my wife well and two be careful what you say about
her. You have no idea how crazy I am.
He was quoting a popular song but he had a point. This year we have been through so much. Sickness took up residence at our house. The kids together had more than 18 ear
infections. They also had stomach bugs,
colds, the flu and strep throat. Sarah
was even hospitalized for pneumonia.
They spread most of their diseases to us and each other. It was a trying time for both our sanity and
marriage. But eleven years ago I did
find a cheerleader who is there when I need her. You find out a lot about yourself and spouse
through times like this. It was not fun
but we are better for it. April masterfully
balances her work and home life. She
loves working for her dad and Kenny at Mithix Pro. We are still not able to be involved as we
once were with church and the like but it is fun watching our kids grow.
My dad had quadruple heart bypass surgery recently. There are few things that remind one of their
mortality more than having to play around in one’s chest cavity. Soon after surgery, we were able to see my
dad. I think my brother had the best
comment. He said, “This process had to
be hardest on mom. We knew that you (dad)
were going to be okay. Either we would
be talking like we are now or you would be with our Savior.” It is times like these where a cheerleader is
not enough. No great moral authority or
philosopher is adequate. It is the hope
in a Savior who comes to break the darkness.
It is His coming into our world we celebrate this Christmas season. May His everlasting light be with you and
yours throughout the New Year!
Be Blessed,
The Schütz Family (Nathan, April, Aaron, James, Asher and
Sarah)
No comments:
Post a Comment